Re: url.c: read IE proxy settings on Windows?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 23:52:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 May 2022, Michael Stahl via curl-library wrote:

> we're carrying this patch for almost 10 years now, and i wonder if it's
> doing us any good.

> this was added with a commit mesage "curl: patched to read IE proxy settings
> on Windows".

The primary question is perhaps why patch libcurl with this, when a much
easier solution would be to just run this logic in your application and if you
find a proxy set that using the regular CURLOPT_PROXY option?

We don't have any "figure out the system proxy" logic for any platform in
libcurl. It has been discussed in the past and we've seem some attempts at
having a go at it but it has never materialized and I'm not convinced it is
something libcurl needs.

Adding it now and only for Windows? It doesn't seem awesome to me.