Re: url.c: read IE proxy settings on Windows?

From: Michael Stahl via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:51:23 +0200

On 25.05.22 23:52, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2022, Michael Stahl via curl-library wrote:
>
>> we're carrying this patch for almost 10 years now, and i wonder if
>> it's doing us any good.
>
>> this was added with a commit mesage "curl: patched to read IE proxy
>> settings on Windows".
>
> The primary question is perhaps why patch libcurl with this, when a much
> easier solution would be to just run this logic in your application and
> if you find a proxy set that using the regular CURLOPT_PROXY option?

well i can only speculate but we have ~5 independent clients of libcurl
so perhaps the author thought it would be less work to just patch libcurl.

> We don't have any "figure out the system proxy" logic for any platform
> in libcurl. It has been discussed in the past and we've seem some
> attempts at having a go at it but it has never materialized and I'm not
> convinced it is something libcurl needs.

thanks, that's useful to know.

> Adding it now and only for Windows? It doesn't seem awesome to me.

agree, i think maintaining feature patches downstream is a bad idea, so
i'll just remove the patch and see if anybody complains, and if so
hopefully a better way to do this can be found; LO itself also has its
own proxy configuration settings, which this patch ignores...