Re: Two-letter options?

From: Rainer Canavan via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 13:34:27 +0100

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 12:31 PM Jeremy Nicoll via curl-users
<curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, at 10:25, Rainer Canavan via curl-users wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, using just one additional letter would abbreviate
> > --remove-on-error to --roe, which might be easier to remember.
>
> I like this option, not least because (assuming that all the long options
> have unique --xyz names) and assuming that as new long options are
> added they too are given unique --xyz or even if needed -pqrs forms,
> there's a much bigger potential number of them.

I don't think there's a need to really cover all options, since
there's a lot of options
that are rather exotic and not widely used. Also, my suggestion for
--roe (or --RoE?)
may appear more attractive on the surface than it really is, since a
lot of long options
aren't composed of multiple words (e.g. --negotiate could be
abbreviated to --neg).

I do like Timothe's suggestion to expand completion.pl to cover bash, and such
shortened options may unnecessarily clutter the output with redundant notations
of the same options when pressing <tab> twice.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 1:24 PM Timothe Litt via curl-users
<curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:
[...]
> script scripts/completion.pl looks like it will extract known options from the help and generate a completion script. It claims to support fish and zsh. Adding bash would require some work, but once done, should be low maintenance.

rainer