Re: Two-letter options?

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 07:48:40 -0500

On 11-Mar-22 07:34, Rainer Canavan via curl-users wrote:
> such
> shortened options may unnecessarily clutter the output with redundant notations
> of the same options when pressing <tab> twice.

Not necessarily.  completion could exclude single letter and/or
medium-length options, while still accepting them if entered without a
tab.  It doesn't have to offer completion for everything it recognizes.
(Or you can have a CURL_RECOGNIZE_EVERYTHING control variable to answer
"it doesn't display XXX" "bug" reports.)

It might require thoughtful documentation, but completion for a
non-aliased subset should feel intuitive in use.

> (or --RoE?)

long options are generally case-insensitive (and if not, camel case can
be painful/annoying).

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer