Re: Goal: for every setopt, have at least one stand-alone example

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:48:02 -0700

On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 10:35:45AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> The idea is simple: for every existing option we have to curl_easy_setopt(),
> there should be at least one full-size stand-alone example (in
> docs/examples/) showing how it could be used.

This would be really useful for some of the more complicated options that
interact with callbacks or other options in order to work properly. But does it
really add anything to have a standalone example for, e.g.
CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPSV? It's just a boolean that's either set or it isn't, and a
standalone example program doesn't show what effect it has or how it helps.

Every option's man page already has an "Example" section showing how to use
each option properly that can easily be cut and pasted into a program . I think
a bigger concern is that having all kinds of simple example programs cluttering
up docs/examples/ will make it harder to find the truly useful ones.

Dan