Re: On more stable curl releases

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 09:17:48 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023, Stefan Eissing wrote:

> Delaying the opening of the feature window after a release seems to be a
> good balance. Right now, I have several PRs pending for the re-opening of
> the window and it does not cost anything to have them wait a week more.
> Feature branches already exist. Maintenance branches we'd like to avoid.

So, how about this for adjusted release cycle and release management:

  - Increase the post-release ("cool down") margin before we open the feature
    window. We currently have it 5 days, we could double it to 10 days. That
    would then reduce the feature window with the same amount of days leaving
    us with 18 days to merge features.

  - Within the cool down period, we are only allowed to merge bug-fixes.

  - Lower the bar for a patch-release. Even "less important" regressions should
    be considered reason enough to do follow-up releases. And if they are not
    reported within the cool down period, chances are they are not important
    enough.

  - After a follow-up release, we start over with a new cool down period of 10
    days.

  - If we decide to do a patch release due to a regression, we set that release
    day N days into the future so that we can accumulate a few more fixes and
    get our ducks in order before we ship it. N is probably at least 7.