RE: Drop support for building with mingw v1?

From: Marcel Raad via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 19:25:57 +0000

Hi,

FTR, pretty much the same as I wrote on GitHub and speaking from my experience with other open
source projects:

The only reason to support original MinGW I see is that people new to software development on
Windows seem to often find the original MinGW first. That, in combination with the habit of asking
for help instead of reading documentation, led to a lot of noisy questions, in the same way as the
recurring linking errors when linking statically without setting the respective define on the consumer
side.

Apart from that, I'd personally be in favor of removing it. And with it maybe also support for Windows
2000, which I'd only keep so far because original MinGW targets it by default.

Marcel