Re: HTTPS traffic much slower after upgrade from 7.85.0 to 7.87.0

From: Fabian Keil via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 12:00:36 +0100

Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote on 2023-02-09 at 11:26:09:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2023, Stephan Mühlstrasser via curl-library wrote:
>
> > I'm attempting to upgrade libcurl in an application from 7.85.0 to 7.87.0.
> > When I run tests against an internal test server, I see a major slowdown for
> > HTTPS connections. It is worst when proxies are involved, but I see also a
> > slowdown without proxies.
>
> Yes, we are already aware of this regression and several fixes have been
> landed in git to address this. Actually to the level that in our tests, git
> master is much faster to first byte received than ever before (as far as I
> have verified in my tests at least).
>
> It would be helpful if you could verify that the slowdown is gone for you as
> well if you build and test with current git master.
>
> This regression happened because we don't do regular performance tests, and as
> everything still kept working, albeit too slowly, we did not notice this in
> time before the release! :-O

In the Privoxy project we currently don't do regular and
systematic performance tests either ...

While I started to collect some TLS benchmarks [0] a while
ago I haven't updated them for quite some time.

There recently was a significant performance regression [1]
that was fixed in time [2] but delayed the 3.0.34 release.

As some of you know, there are already patches available
to use a subset of the curl tests with Privoxy [3] but
due to the lack of curl performance tests Privoxy's
performance regression wasn't detected with automated
testing.

Long story short: I'd be interested to collaborate
on creating curl performance tests so I can leverage
them to test Privoxy as well.

Fabian

[0]: <https://www.fabiankeil.de/gehacktes/privoxy-tls-benchmarks/>
[1]: <https://lists.privoxy.org/pipermail/privoxy-devel/2023-January/000579.html>