Re: HTTPS traffic much slower after upgrade from 7.85.0 to 7.87.0

From: Stephan Mühlstrasser via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:37:39 +0100

Hi Daniel,

Am 09.02.2023 um 11:26 schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2023, Stephan Mühlstrasser via curl-library wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to upgrade libcurl in an application from 7.85.0 to
>> 7.87.0. When I run tests against an internal test server, I see a
>> major slowdown for HTTPS connections. It is worst when proxies are
>> involved, but I see also a slowdown without proxies.
>
> Yes, we are already aware of this regression and several fixes have been
> landed in git to address this. Actually to the level that in our tests,
> git master is much faster to first byte received than ever before (as
> far as I have verified in my tests at least).

great that this is already a known problem. I had browsed the recent
messages on the mailing list and recent issues on GitHub, but apparently
I didn't look carefully enough.

> It would be helpful if you could verify that the slowdown is gone for
> you as well if you build and test with current git master.

Sure, I will do that. Do I understand it correctly that a new official
release is just around the corner, on February 15th according to the
plan on the curl website?

> This regression happened because we don't do regular performance tests,
> and as everything still kept working, albeit too slowly, we did not
> notice this in time before the release! :-O

I also noticed this only because I looked specifically at our test that
exercises the network functionality after upgrading to 7.87.0, and a
slowdown by a factor of 20 was striking. When I would have run the whole
testsuite then I probably wouldn't have noticed this as well...

Thanks
Stephan