Re: Custom resolve of Address

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 11:54:33 -0800

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 01:26:41PM +0100, Marcel via curl-library wrote:
> I'm in need of a callback, that let me resolve a domain to an IP address.
>
> I have a modem module which communicates via AT commands with my embedded linux device.
> The only thing currently not working is resolving DNS names.
>
> There is a way of defining DNS names beforehand (using CURLOPT_RESOLVE), but I don't see a way of using it for dynamic queries, e.g. during or before a connect.

Is the problem that the name doesn't resolve at all or resolves incorrectly? If
the latter, then you should be able to use the CURLOPT_OPENSOCKETFUNCTION and
CURLOPT_SOCKOPTFUNCTION callbacks to substitute the right address by ignoring
the supplied address and opening the socket with the right one. If the former,
I would think you could just extract the host name from the URL using the
curl_url API and populate the DNS cache after resolving the name yourself.
There are a few boundary cases (redirects, certificate revocation checks,
proxies, etc.) with this approach but the simple cases should work fine.

Dan