Custom resolve of Address

From: Marcel via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 13:26:41 +0100 (CET)

Hey everyone,

I'm in need of a callback, that let me resolve a domain to an IP address.

I have a modem module which communicates via AT commands with my embedded linux device.
The only thing currently not working is resolving DNS names.

There is a way of defining DNS names beforehand (using CURLOPT_RESOLVE), but I don't see a way of using it for dynamic queries, e.g. during or before a connect.

There is the CURLOPT_RESOLVER_START_FUNCTION callback, but I'm not sure (due to lack of examples and good documentation) on how to intercept the c-ares resolver and provide a DNS name on the fly.

So my two questions are:
Is there a callback, e.g. CURLOPT_RESOLVE_NAME that will be called with a dns name and a IP version and expects the correct IP version

or

how to intercept the c-ares query, e.g. by using a callback in that library which then will resolve a name to a IP address.

Regards,
Marcel