Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: Libcurl rebuild using Visual Studio

From: Michael König via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 16:48:42 +0200 (CEST)

> JT, Srinivas (External) via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> hat am 27.06.2024 14:48 CEST geschrieben:
>

> Hi All
Hey there!

> Could you please confirm whether
> Visual Studio 2010 SP1 can be used for rebuilding libcurl 8.8.0 along with
> openssl 3.3.1 and libssh2 1.11.0.
>
> We are also using Nasm-2.11.06 , Zlib-1.2.3-lib, ActivePerl-5.6.1.638-MSWin32-x86 for openssl.

I feel i may be among the closest setups to yours out there.

I build using the VS 2010 compiler and had little issues in the past. I need to fiddle a bit with the makefiles/setting for the various libraries i have to keep updated. The 2010 compiler works fine for curl and libssh2... with some modifications. Setting paths changing compiler/linker flags and stuff like that. We do not need Nasm or Zlib though, so i cannot comment on that.

We did not yet migrate to openssl 3.3.x and i expect some resistance there. This is the sole reason why i am working on moving our code base to a less ancient or even current VS version. This will take some time.

I always use an nmake based build or the approach that is closest to that, which is not CMake. CMake does not like the way we seperated the compiler from the IDE installation. Some environment variables and defines are missing, which in turn makes cmake not detect the compiler environment.

For libssh2 i might be among the only one still using the old deprecated nmake makefiles, which still can be made to work with little effort. I did not understand why they were removed. Though i would not want to maintain them for every edge case.

So the tl;dr is: If you know your way around nmake makefiles, VS 2010 can be made to work. Do not expect it to work out of the box though. Moderate uncertainty remains for openssl 3.3.x.

> Please confirm.
>
> regards,
> Srinivas
Regards,