Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: Guidance on monitoring connection open/close with CURLM API

From: Stefan Eissing via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 17:30:34 +0200

> Am 31.05.2024 um 16:57 schrieb Cao Duc Quan <caoducquan_at_gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Stefan,
> Thanks for the explanation.
> To conclude:
> - If the easy handle is not used with CURLM, the connection will be closed when we call curl_easy_cleanup() so I could say connection lifetime is the same as easy handle lifetime.

Yes, if the easy handle ist standalone, all will be free'd at the end and the socket closes.

> - If the easy handle is used with CURLM, the connection lifetime will be longer than the easy handle. If we set the CURLOPT_CLOSESOCKETFUNCTION/CURLOPT_CLOSESOCKETDATA to easy handle, the callback could be invoked after the easy handle is destroyed (afte invoke curl_easy_cleanup()).

Yes, the time after which this happens may vary with other conditions. Like starting another transfer to the same host, or the server closing the connection on its own. If the server closes the connection before the transfer has ended, your closesocket function may even be called before easy_cleanup().

- Stefan