Re: Preventing curl's configure from auto detecting libraries

From: Cristian Rodríguez via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 11:20:56 -0400

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 11:38 AM Harry Sarson via curl-library <
curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building curl from source and would like curl to _only_ include
> dependancies I explicitly
> provide. This is to prevent a) curl from dynamically linking against some
> library that be present at
> build time but not at run time and b) to help me keep on top of the
> shipped code (if I include some
> library I may have to add its license info etc).
>
> My current best approach is to go through the `./configure` script and
> manually add `--without-xxx`
> or `--disable-xxx` for every optional dependancy I find. This works, it
> stops curl from
> auto-detecting anything. However, this is a painstaking process and also
> brittle as a future curl
> release may add a new optional library and auto-detect it.
>
> I have been searching for a `--without-everything` option that would then
> let me (explicitly) turn
> back on any dependancies I do want. Does such an option exist? Or is there
> anyother way to prevent
> curl autodetecting depenancies on my build system.

That's why you use a build environment separated from the build host, by at
least a chroot, nowadays a container is the bare minimum.
All available linux distributions have tools for you to do this.. mock,
debian build tools, osc-build, The yocto project, buildroot.

The route you are taking is actually a road to hell. No distribution does
what you want because it does not work.