Re: On more stable curl releases

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 23:55:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2023, Dan Fandrich via curl-library wrote:

> The last two changes fix compile problems in two platforms, OS/400 and Haiku.
> Normally, I'd say that would be enough to trigger another release: users can't
> build curl when they used to be able to, but these are super marginal
> platforms. Are there even a dozen people out there compiling curl for them?

I would guess there are significanltly less than a dozen people. Also, we get
fixes for some platforms immediately after releases because that's when then
build curl.

If people with these lesser common platforms truly want to make sure that curl
builds fine on their platforms on the day of the release, it would make sense
for them to try it at least a few days *before* so that we could get the fix
bundled.

This kind of problems+fixes are thus a little self-inflicted and I would not
want this behavior to be encouraged by us necessarily taking fixes like this
as a reason to do another release.

> I really have no idea how many people there are using this support, though.
> Haiku's official curl package is only 6 releases old, so there's some
> development happening there.

The Haiku build fix was only for cmake. I'm pretty sure that quirk already
exists in the autotool build.