HTTPS traffic much slower after upgrade from 7.85.0 to 7.87.0

From: Stephan Mühlstrasser via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:21:10 +0100

Hi,

I'm attempting to upgrade libcurl in an application from 7.85.0 to
7.87.0. When I run tests against an internal test server, I see a major
slowdown for HTTPS connections. It is worst when proxies are involved,
but I see also a slowdown without proxies.

When I produce logging for running the identical tests with both
versions and grep for "time until completion of SSL connect/handshake" I
see this:

With 7.85.0:

time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.034661 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.035431 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.035162 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.034475 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.026342 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.026157 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.037187 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.036598 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.035816 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.03623 seconds

With 7.87.0:

time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 1.417964 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 1.418021 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 2.425569 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 2.422112 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.412745 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 0.414132 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 1.418278 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 1.418299 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 2.425438 seconds
time until completion of SSL connect/handshake: 2.425378 seconds

What can I do to troubleshoot this? I can send the complete logging for
a specific request with the old and new build, but as each is more than
100 lines long I wanted to ask first whether it makes sense.

The curl library is built from a modified source, but the modifications
are only additional casts for the return values of malloc() etc. as we
need to build it in C++ mode as well.

Thanks
Stephan