Re: HTTP/3 options

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 12:27:49 -0500

On 03-Jan-23 11:24, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> I started to write down some ideas for two options to ask for HTTP/3
> to be used by curl when we remove the experimental label for it.
> Hopefully during his coming spring.
>
> My notes exist only as a GitHub gist for now:
>
> https://gist.github.com/bagder/6475a32d7cdc0b54f2dd6545e9ded0ac
>
> Feel free to comment here or there.

There are already many --http[0-9.]+ and --http*-*options.  It's not
easy for a user to sort out how they interact.  Suspect the code has
similar challenges :-)

Rather than adding more, perhaps it's time for some simplification.
Something like:

--http (or simply https?:// in a URL) means try whatever CURL is built
with, highest to lowest version, modulo any knowledge it may have from
past attempts.

--http=3 - use http3, fall back to 2, 1.1, 1.0, 0.9, ...

--http=3.  use http3 or die

--http=(3,1.1) - try http3, fall back to 1.1, 1.0...

--http=(3,1.1.) - try http3, 1.1 or die

--http=2. = Use http2 or die (roughly --http2 --http-prior-knowledge)

e.g. the arg is a list of protocol versions to try.  Implicit is try
next lower, unless '.', which means 'stop on failure'

The existing options can be mapped into this scheme.

alt-svc really should be internal to CURL - e.g. in ~/.curl-altsvc.cache
or some such.  The ma (max-age) value is enough for the cache
expiration.  Clearing the cache is a good option to have, but I don't
see why curl would need user involvement otherwise.

--http says that the user wants something specific.  So if the --http
list omits a protocol, it doesn't matter if the alt-svc header/cache
says it's available.  That could be included in --verbose output to hint
that there may be a newer (better?) option.

While the library can certainly continue to have endless options, the
command line really should be more Do What I Mean, especially by default.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer