Re: Above and beyond 32 protocols

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 11:13:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2022, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

>> out of a coincidence we haven't yet had to check for a bit over 31 bits

> We already are there: the ManageSieve protocol is still pending and I'm
> maintaining it for 1 year now and will do as long as not rejected

I was talking about code in master, but sure for new ones we will reach it.

I think we should just use a larger type for protocols and family then, and I
think new protocols should require curl_off_t >= 64 bits to be enabled.

> (BTW: the "needs vote" flag is just a fiasco: no directive for it, no appeal
> for, etc. Better have a code bucket! I feel it like an unassumed rejection
> and I'm sure the lack of advertising/links/doc of the "needs vote" feature
> is responsible for that rather than the PR itself, as other flagged PRs do
> not have votes either). The PR stayed fully operational until the proto bits
> exhausted.

Feel free to propose better approaches or ways to improve it. Without the
votes, I feel the decision too often lands on me and I don't know and I am by
nature rather conservative and resist lots of new things into curl and I
rather not close down fine PRs if there "people" think we should support them.

> Even without it, let's assume we'll have a PR for rsync tomorrow: the current
> proto limitation is a barrier for the PR developer, whoever he is.

True.

> IMO we must be ready for that and the next protocol PR should not worry
> about it and have the same questions we deal with here.

> it would even break the 64-bit limitation and allow a 32-bit only system to
> work!

But be more code and more complicated to use and understand than just using a
larger type. So the question is if we need the more complexity or can get away
with the simpler solution for another twenty years or so.