Re: Follow REUSE best practices for licensing/copyright

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 17:00:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 May 2022, Max Mehl via curl-library wrote:

Hello!

I'm casually positive on improving visibility of the copyright situation in
curl, nut it needs to be done with minimal friction and burden on existing
users and developers. Existing consumers have not had a hard time to figure
out the curl copyright situation in the past.

> My first quick analysis shows that of the ~3500 files in the main repo,
> almost the half already includes copyright information.

... and they are all actually in their respective state on purpose. Or at
least with full knowledge. We have ./scripts/copyright.pl to help us verify
that all the files that we think *should* have copyright headers, have.

Have you identified any particular files you think should have copyright info
that haven't? For example, we deliberately ignore all the tests.

> The REUSE team would be happy to propose a first pull request that showcases
> some possibilities of how REUSE could be applied, and how the file headers
> shall look like after all.

Sure, but maybe you can start with a minimal adjustment and show us how you
suggest we updated the generic copyright header before you go ahead and update
thousands of files?

> In a next step, we'd have to make sure that we interpreted the licensing and
> copyright situation correctly.

I don't think that should be very difficuly.

> I would like to note that while reaching REUSE compliance is a larger
> one-time chunk, maintaining this status is fairly simple

If we just update ./scripts/copyright.pl accordingly, it's done.