Re: mail vs GitGub

From: Drew DeVault via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 09:58:41 +0200

On Wed Mar 30, 2022 at 9:53 AM CEST, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Very true. But the infrasystemwork was mostly done already by others on the
> other (website) side so we didn't have to do a lot of work to get CI jobs and
> stuff to work on GitHub. It was thus also going with the least resistance.
> Going to where the devs are too.

fwiw I addressed "going to where the devs are too" in a blog post I
wrote (partially) inspired by being reminded that cURL is on GitHub. You
might find it insightful (or maybe flamebait):

https://drewdevault.com/2022/03/29/free-software-free-infrastructure.html

A project at the scale and ubiquity of cURL would probably have no
problems finding contributors on any platform, including PR-oriented
platforms like Gitea or GitLab, but also pretty much anything else
including mailing lists, gerrit, etc. You have a lot of social capital
to work with. However, the investment you've made in GitHub will be
expensive to unmake.

> From what I can tell, most developers these days frown upon email and prefer
> to develop thing PR-style anyway so I've personally felt very little
> motivation to work on adding fancy mailinglist-focused tools to support a way
> of working that is slowly dying anyway.

You live in your bubble, I live in mine. cURL is on GitHub so you mostly
work with people who like to use GitHub, or at least tolerate it. My
projects are via email so I mostly work with people who like to use
email, or at least tolerate it. There's not much useful information to
derive from this observation. What I can say for sure is that there are
still a lot of people who *want* to use email, just as there are those
who want to use GitHub.

> I'm sorry you take it this way.
>
> I'm a pragmatic. If this change is good and meant to happen, then someone else
> will make it so. Now or later.

I certainly hope so.