Re: A CI job inventory

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:12:03 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022, Henrik Holst wrote:

> Completely unaware how all this works so take this with a huge grain of salt
> but it seems like there is much resources wasted on CI when real errors in
> patches/pull requests happen.

It could probably be argued that it is even more "wasted resources" when *no*
errors are found since then they all run longer and they don't even find
problems to highlight!

> So would it be possible to do nested CI checks?

Yes. No.

> With that I mean that if eg "make checksrc" fails then no other CI jobs
> should be executed. And then define a default build for Linux, macOS and
> Windows where further CI jobs for e.g Linux would only be run if the default
> CI job for Linux was successful and so on.

Some individual CI services can do that kind of stages, not sure if they call
can. They cannot be "staged" between different services though afaik.

If someone wants to work on that, I won't object!