How to use Windows Certificate Store with pre-built libcurl distribution?

From: \[Quipsy\] Markus Karg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:05:03 +0000

SITUATION

I am using the official libcurl binary distribution on Windows 32 Bit to perform http downloads from my own servers. All works fine.
Now I want to switch to HTTPS using a self-signed certificate on my the server.
I imported that certificate into the client's Windows Certificate Store as "Trusted Root Certificate" of the local machine (as a side effect it also shows up in the Windows Certificate Store of the current user).
The curl.exe distributed with Windows 10 (which apparently is linked against SChannel) is happy now and performs the HTTPS downloads. This proofs that both, curl.exe and the Windows Certificate Store are working correct.
The official libcurl binary distribution for Windows (which apparently is linked against OpenSSL) fails with code 60, even if I set the CURLOPT_SSLOPTIONS to CURLSSLOPT_NATIVE_CA. This proofs that EITHER that experimental feature is disabled in the official libcurl binary for Windows OR the experimental feature is simply broken.

QUESTIONS

Is there a solution other than compiling my own libcurl?

Does anybody know a free third-party download of libcurl binary for Windows that EITHER is linked against SChannel OR has this experimental feature turned on?

Thanks a lot!
-Markus Karg