Re: CURLMOPT_MAX_HOST_CONNECTIONS

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 15:03:52 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2022, Mellergård, Daniel via curl-library wrote:

> From what I can see the number of connections to use to a single host has
> been severely debated in other forums, and typically browsers is much more
> restrictive regarding the number of connections. It’s a bit difficult to
> find definite numbers, but typically somewhere between 6 and 16.

That's probably because the limit is not entirely fixed in any browser afaik,
but 6 is typically the "long term" limit for desktop browsers at least, that
can be overriden at times for specific (short-term) reasons.

> Is “unlimited” really a good default choice and will work safely with most
> servers?

If you are doing "browser-like" operations with libcurl, you are probably
better off capping the amount somewhere, yes. I don't think libcurl needs to
set that default for you though. A lot of users use libcurl in non-browser use
cases and for those a sensible limit might be something completely different.

> (I /do/ see that in my use case it seems to max out to 64 connections,
> limited either by Curl or my use case.)

If you didn't set a limit for curl, it doesn't care and then there's no
ceiling.