Re: Fewer mallocs is better, episode #47

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 06:27:01 -0500

On 27-Jan-22 05:59, Henrik Holst wrote:
> sizeof have been a compile time constant since inception, however
> since C99 it can also be used on variable length arrays and for those
> it of course have to be a runtime operation. Perhaps OpenLDAP used
> variable length arrays to a huge degree?
>
> strlen() is one clear candidate for some optimizations, often however
> it is declared as __attribute_pure__ so the compiler should be smart
> enough to remove redundant calls, but for constant strings a macro
> like "#define BUFFER_COPY_STRING_CONST(x, y) buffer_copy_string_len(x,
> y, sizeof(y) - 1)" is useful if curl have many such constant strings
> passed to various functions that also needs the string length.

Yes - but note that __attribute__((pure)) is a GNU extension (though
adopted by some others).  You still end up with one call; when sizeof
can be substituted the result is none.  And unless a function using
strlen on an argument is inlined, it won't help as much as using
sizeof() if the function is sometimes called with a constant and other
times with a non-constant.

Before embarking on any optimization project - especially
micro-optimizations - the potential performance gains should be
analyzed.  If they're not significant, trading effort (and sometimes
code clarity/maintainability) is not worthwhile.

For a project like cURL, which is used on a wide range of platforms and
compilers (old and new), it's fine to exploit available extensions, but
care is needed before assuming they are present.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.