RE: Question about DNS timeout in libCurl

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 09:04:35 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021, Dmitry Karpov wrote:

> But the question remains whether libcurl should always rely on a default DNS
> timeout set by c-ares, whatever it is, instead of explicitly setting the
> "curl" one?

We also don't set any timeouts for the stock name resolver functions but rely
on their internally used timeouts. I don't think curl has better or more
information than the resolver library so I don't think we can make a better
decision.

How do other common getaddrinfo implementations handle (timeouts for)
non-responding name reservers? It seems like behavior we should be able to
mimick.

> The concern is that different c-ares versions may have different default
> timeouts which can create inconsistent behavior

Yes, but that's more of a feature than a bug. When c-ares fixes problems in
later versions it is a good thing that curl can work with them. "inconsistent
behavior" goes both ways.

> makes tight coupling libcurl with c-ares default timeout.

Yes, but now we're back in "old code" territory and that old way of using
c-ares had more problem than just that timer dependency so I suggest you move
away from that. The "new code" path sets no timeout at all but relies on
c-ares' default.

> options.timeout = DEFAULT_DNS_TIMEOUT;

> This simple change will make libcurl DNS timeout consistent regardless if
> the default timeout changes in c-ares.

If we can't improve c-ares to do this better then I think this is a change to
consider, yes. I want us to first explore fixing this in the resolver code.