Re: Custom resolve of Address

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 12:59:17 -0800

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 09:14:44PM +0100, Marcel via curl-library wrote:
> Would you think extending the CURL API to allow my usecase would be a good
> idead?

I agree with Timothe that this would probably not be that useful in the general
case. The other suggestions (like setting up dnsmasq or a custom local
resolver) that resolves in this special way would allow all applications to
resolve names on the system, not just a single libcurl-using application.
Embedded applications often only connect to one or a handful of hosts
that CURLOPT_RESOLVE or /etc/hosts would be sufficient to support. But, maybe
I'm wrong and there are actually enough embedded systems out there like yours
that a more general resolving solution is worthwhile adding, but there would
have to be a demonstrable need before a new feature would be added.

Dan