Question regarding passing CURL_SOCKET_TIMEOUT to multi_socket_action

From: Yongkang Huang via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 08:05:52 +0000

Hi!

I’m working on an application that driving a multi handle on an event base that dynamically adding easy handle when there’s a server request demand some HTTP request in the backend. Here are some of mu problems

  1. After add an easy handle using curl_multi_add_handle, I call curl_multi_socket_action with CURL_SOCKET_TIMEOUT to start the easy handle, after that I check the immediately whether running_handles is 0, if it is 0 I deemed it would be an exception that the easy handle I just added failed to start, sometime I do notice the running_handle is 0 while curl_multi_add_handle returns no error.

  curl_multi_add_handle(curlm, curl);

  int running = 0;

  auto rc = curl_multi_socket_action(curlm, CURL_SOCKET_TIMEOUT, 0, &running);

  if (rc != CURLM_OK || running == 0) {

    // oops there's some error

  }

So is running_handle is 0 legit in this case that I should call curl_multi_info_read to read the result?

  1. When a curl_multi_socket_action returns error code, should I just think all the existing easy handle added are failed and the multi handle cannot be used anymore? Or is there any recovery mechanism?

Thanks!