Re: Cookie storage customization?

From: Isaac Jurado via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 20:53:58 +0200

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 11:44 AM Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, Isaac Jurado via curl-library wrote:
>
> I was curious why optimizing the storage is so important when most of the
> cookie handling should be done without storing them on disk at all...

> The cookie jar (the external file) is only populated by libcurl when you
> close
> the easy handle. Mostly you re-use the handles with the cookies in memory.

> Isn't using a share handle for cookies the better solution for this?

Yes, in-memory handle reuse and share handles solve all cookie problems
within a single process, multiple thread environment.

However, to share cookies across concurrent heterogeneous process, I
understand that share handles are not enough.

In my case, I'm building a toolkit for service integration command line
interfaces so SQLite is an obvious choice to store session/authentication
cookies. But I may be very well sitting in the edge of the Gaussian curve.

While I would never even consider introducing SQLite as a dependency to
solve just this edge case, I was wondering if adding more "extension
points" for cookie management could be an interesting idea from the libcurl
design point of view.

Best regards.

--
Isaac Jurado
"The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding"