Re: Above and beyond 32 protocols

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:04:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 13 Sep 2021, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:

> A) If we drop the < 64 bit requirement (1), we can introduce
> CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS_LARGE etc that use a (guaranteed) 64 bit type and we double
> room for protocols, which should be enough for the forseeable future.

I think we can do it this way. If it took us more than 23 years to reach 32
protocol bits, I would expect us to need much longer than another 23 years to
fill up 64 bits. And even if we would fill up those bits in a very distant
future I think we can postpone that problem and handle it then.

We could even do it so that we only support CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS_LARGE if indeed
there's a 64 bit type present and just not support those protocols for systems
without. At least to start with.

Does anyone reading this know of or use libcurl in a system that doesn't
provide a 64 bit data type?