Re: Above and beyond 32 protocols

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:57:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021, Christian Schmitz wrote:

> You could add CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS_LARGE as soon as possible.
>
> Then we could ignore for now, but later when new protocols get added, we can
> switch to the new property.
>
> -> have the new property out a year before you need it, so all the
> distributions have time to update, before apps will use it.

It wouldn't help much. The existing CURLOPT_PROTOCOLS option will still need
to remain funtional exactly like it works today, and only applications that
actually wants to set a protocol bit that larger than the first 32 bits will
need to use the new option.

Since those applications will need to change their source code anyway for the
new protocol support that don't exist yet, they can just as well change to
using the new option then!