SCHANNEL failing in 7.77 when it worked in 7.74

From: Roland Rabien via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 15:23:39 -0700

I have an application / plugin that uses a static build of libcurl. All was
working fine with 7.74

When I upgraded to 7.77, the command line options to compile schannel had
changed, which I upgraded.

My standalone application works fine with 7.77

However, my program is also a DLL that can also be hosted as a plugin and
run in another program's process space. In this case, schannel connect
fails with:

"schannel: initial InitializeSecurityContext failed: SEC_E_ILLEGAL_MESSAGE
(0x80090326) - This error usually occurs when a fatal SSL/TLS alert is
received (e.g. handshake failed). More detail may be available in the
Windows System event log."

Any idea how to debug this? Are there global parameters of schannel that
could be configured differently that is causing it to fail? Could running
two different versions of libcurl in the same process be an issue? Any
other guesses?

Roland