Re: Setting connection timeout per host?

From: Midnight Wonderer via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 15:06:15 +0700

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 23:14, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> You mean how many IP addresses in the list to try?

Yes, but not sure who will care about the option after we have both
individual-IP-timeout, and total-connect-timeout, as you mentioned.
I rarely see A record with 20 IP addresses; in fact, I didn't.
We can also put the change on hold until someone shows up,
complaining, on the mailing list.

> If you have suggestions on how to clarify this in the documentation, please
> go ahead. Writing clear documentation is a challenge.

Lets me think about it. I am not sure yet how I can contribute to the
document; I'll get back to you via the mailing list, then.

> Should the old option perhaps still remain as a "total time to try" option?
> Then we can set them like this:
>
> individual-IP-timeout: 5 seconds (the new option)
> total-connect-timeout: 20 seconds (the old option)
>
> ... and then it could attempt to connect to as many IP addresses as possible
> within the given restraints.

That would be perfect, and that is the only change to support my use case.
(in millisecond unit, please)