Re: String encoding used by CURLOPT_ERRORBUFFER

From: Andreas Falkenhahn via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 13:14:31 +0100

On 14.01.2021 at 21:32 Ray Satiro via curl-library wrote:

> We left extended error messages in the received encoding intentionally.
> curl errors are in English but may append a system error like whatever
> strerror gives us or for some Windows errors we convert to multibyte to
> be consistent and keep local encoding. [1]

Ok, I see. This seems to be a new feature because I get ISO 8859-1 instead
of multibyte but I'm still on curl 7.64.0 and it doesn't seem to have that
code.

Still, I think some option to force curl to return UTF-8 would be very
nice for portability because AFAICS the current implementation forces me to
write OS-specific code if I want to have error messages in UTF-8...

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas_at_falkenhahn.com