Re: Setting connection timeout per host?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:14:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021, Midnight Wonderer wrote:

> Other than that, I think Nginx options should cover most of the other cases
> some people care about, especially the option to limit the number of tries.

You mean how many IP addresses in the list to try?

> leave the current connection timeout option as is, but define it with more
> clarity that it means overall connection timeout and is shared between
> multiple connections.

If you have suggestions on how to clarify this in the documentation, please
go ahead. Writing clear documentation is a challenge.

> Then introduce another option that defines as a timeout per connection. (Not
> sure about the name yet.)

Naming is also hard! =)

> With only the old option set, curl can keep the old behavior this way; on
> the other hand, it should help with the scenario of 20 IP addresses you
> mentioned earlier when combined with the new option too.

Should the old option perhaps still remain as a "total time to try" option?
Then we can set them like this:

  individual-IP-timeout: 5 seconds (the new option)
  total-connect-timeout: 20 seconds (the old option)

... and then it could attempt to connect to as many IP addresses as possible
within the given restraints.