String encoding used by CURLOPT_ERRORBUFFER

From: Andreas Falkenhahn via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 19:46:33 +0100

Is there any specification concerning the encoding used by the string copied to CURLOPT_ERRORBUFFER in case of an error?

On my German Windows system I often seem to be getting ISO 8859-1. For example, the error message for CURLE_SSL_CONNECT_ERROR is this:

    "schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092013) - Die Sperrfunktion konnte die Sperrung nicht überprüfen, da der Sperrserver offline war."

Note the German umlauts "ü" in the error message.

Is there any way to make curl return something more i18n-proof, e.g. UTF-8? If not, consider this a feature request ;)

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andreas_at_falkenhahn.com