curl / Mailing Lists / curl-distros / Single Mail
Buy commercial curl support. We help you work out your issues, debug your libcurl applications, use the API, port to new platforms, add new features and more. With a team lead by the curl founder Daniel himself.

Re: HTTP3 and websockets enabled on Debian experimental

From: Samuel Henrique via curl-distros <curl-distros_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 20:30:12 +0100

Hello Billy,

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 at 19:14, Billy O'Neal (VC AIR) via curl-distros <curl-distros_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:

> >HTTP3 support was achieved by switching the curl binary to use the GNUTLS
> >backend, but we still provide an OpenSSL libcurl.
>
> Can you describe how this works given that clearly only one entity gets to own libcurl.so?

Sure:
libcurl.so.4 is provided by the package libcurl4t64.
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 is provided by the package libcurl3t64-gnutls.

Both are co-installable and other packages can decide on which one to link
against by build-depending on either libcurl4-openssl-dev or
libcurl4-gnutls-dev (the -dev packages both provide libcurl.so.4, so not
co-installable).

This means applications will by default link against the OpenSSL lib, but if
they're built with libcurl4-gnutls-dev, then they end up linked against
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 (nothing special required in the build process).

In the case of the curl CLI, what I did was to link it against
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 instead of libcurl.so.4.

Cheers,

--
Samuel Henrique <samueloph>