Splitting up the manpage on the website?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 09:14:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

tldr; how can we improve how the curl manpage is rendered on the website?

For a long time I've been wanting to provide an alternative view on the curl
manpage on the website. We currently have 244 command line options (that are
likely to slowly keep growing for the forseeable future) and they are right
now displayed in a single huge page [1]. (Right now some 273KB of HTML.)

There are anchors in there so we can link to specific options (example [2]),
even if anchor-links are always a bit fragile and harder to figure out that
they exist.

The single page is excellent for when you want to search in the page for
something you don't really know before-hand. Scan for a keyword and see what
options that are documented in relation to that.

The single page for everything is less good when you want to link to the
documentation for a single option as then the user gets to see a whole lot of
other things as well and it's not as easy on the eye as when you have a
dedicated page for just that single option. A single page per option can also
use a different layout to improve the experience. Example --user page render
[3].

As I see benefits with both ways, I figured we can just offer both; the single
page as well as the individual pages. But how would we go back and forth? I've
experimented with dedicted links added on every option header in the manpage
page [4] (that take you to the separate page for that option).

I'm far from a UI/UX expert and I'm crap at layout and CSS, but here I am! =)

How do you think we can improve this?

[1] = https://curl.se/docs/manpage.html
[2] = https://curl.se/docs/manpage.html#-F
[3] = https://daniel.haxx.se/media/curl--user.png