Curl Configuration Weirdness for libz.a

From: Randall via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 15:27:34 -0400

Hi Curl Team,

I am building curl 8.2.1 for NonStop and received the following message:

*** Warning: Trying to link with static lib archive
/usr/coreutils/lib/libz.a.
*** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because the file extensions .a of this argument makes me believe
*** that it is just a static archive that I should not use here.
copying selected object files to avoid basename conflicts...
ln: failed to create hard link '.libs/libcurl.lax/lt1-libz.a' =>
'/usr/coreutils/lib/libz.a': Cross-device link

I supplied --with-zlib and the physical location of libz.a in the LDFLAGS to
ensure that the libz.so is not used.

Recent platform OS versions do have libz.so and libz.so.1.2.11 but older
versions do not. I am building for the oldest supported OS version, which
does not have libz at all, so linking with libz.a is required. Does this
message actually prohibit the use of libz.a? I'm wondering whether modifying
configure.ac might be needed to allow what I am trying to do - including
making a copy of libz.a because of our file system structure that has a
separate file set between /home and /usr for space reasons.

Any advise?

Thanks,
Randall

--
Brief whoami: NonStop&UNIX developer since approximately
UNIX(421664400)