People - past, present and future

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 16:24:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hi friends.

In this wonderful world of Open Source people come and go. During periods some
contributors are very active, only to later find that something changes and
they instead find themselves busy elsewhere. This is all natural, fine and
expected. The project remains. The exact set of people varies.

We highly appreciate all the contributions all our contributors did in their
past and while we hope they will contribute again in the future, we understand
that sometimes that's not what the world has planned for us.

The somwewhat tricky part is of course for us who are still around, to judge
if the absent people are "gone for real" or just temporarily on a hiatus. In
most cases it does not matter.

However, for practical and for security reasons, I want to have "curl
committers" and "curl security team members" to be a set of people that are
still "mostly around". Not necessarily daily, but at least not absent for over
a year.

I want to emphasize and really stress that when I remove a person from one of
the above mentioned groups, it is certainly not because of lack of gratitude
or appreciation. It is also not a one-way operation. Someone who wandered off
years ago but comes back and becomes active again can certainly also regain
their position and status in those teams. Should they want to.

Contributors who have not committed to the project for more than 24 months
might soon be removed from the committers team on GitHub. They will forever be
remembered in the git logs and project history.

The curl security team members have a different way to remain active, but we
handle that separately within that team.

Finally, I just want to mention that we today invited Stefan Eissing, and he
accepted, to become a member of the curl security team.