Re: The application does not have to keep the string around after setting this option

From: Andreas Falkenhahn via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 13:01:33 +0200

On 20.04.2023 at 12:31 Timothe Litt via curl-library wrote:

> If there are any cases where the string is not copied and must be
> retained, the documentation should say so explicitly.

+1

To make matters more confusing, I've also found this information:

"There are currently over 80 options for curl_easy_setopt() that accept a
string as its third argument. When a string is set in a handle, libcurl
immediately copies that data so that the application does not have to keep
the data around for the time the transfer is being done - with one notable
exception: CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS."

Found here: https://everything.curl.dev/libcurl/options/strings

If that is true, maybe the note "The application does not have to keep the
string around after setting this option" should be killed from all CURLOPT_*
pages and there should only be a note for CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS that says that
the string isn't copied.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andreas_at_falkenhahn.com