CURL integration with openssl 3 providers

From: Maiero, Matteo via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 16:41:24 +0000

Hello,
I have used in the past curl with openssl 1 to authenticate to a remote server using keys stored in the TPM.
The TPM2 tss engine (https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-tss-engine) enabled the TPM integration with openssl and with curl.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu 22.04 made the switch to openssl 3 and the command I was used to run, that was leveraging the –engine option, is not working anymore.
A new project called TPM2-openssl (https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-openssl) provides the integration between the TPM 2 and Openssl 3 but only via the new openssl -provider<https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/man1/openssl.html> option.
Does curl support those new openssl 3 providers? If not, is there an alternative way to use curl with the TPM?

Thanks.
Best regards,
Matteo