Re: performance tests

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 23:37:49 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2023, Fabian Keil via curl-library wrote:

> In the mean time I'll keep an eye on the curl commits to see if anyone beats
> me to it ...

Here's some brainstorming.

We could start out thinking about how to make it work. We need to regularly
run a specific set of tasks, get timing numbers and store the those numbers
somewhere probably together with some identifier saying which host that ran
the test (so that we can use several hosts and still compare the right sets).
We also need to store exact curl git version and probably curl -V output or
something.

As for what to run, we could make it simple and start with the command line
from https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/10389 which times how fast curl gets
the first byte back from a remote site. Using an external remote site seems
fragile and using localhost makes a sadder test.

Another test could be to download a huge file from localhost.

We could start with something basic to get the thing going, then add more
later on.

Running the tests, I presume we can make them run N times and if all results
are within a certain margin (M%) we consider them stable and we pick... the
median result?

How and where do we store the numbers? We need to be able to get them back
easily to analyze trends, make graphs and understand deltas between specific
performance diffs. We probably need to run a database somewhere for this.