Re: Accidental debug-enabled version

From: Timothe Litt <litt_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 08:40:10 -0500

Another option would be that building with  debug creates curl-debug and
libcurl-debug (rather than curl and libcurl), which makes it really
difficult to unknowingly make this mistake.

It also handles libcurl-debug escaping into the wild and being silently
loaded by applications.  And in a multi-user environment, make install
would not cause other users pain.

If you really want to use the debug version, e.g. in CI or with a
debugger, simply ln (-s) -f them to the standard names.

Anyone who does alias the debug versions to the standard ones has taken
an unobvious explicit action and can be assumed to know what they are doing.

The warning in the command tool is also a good idea, though perhaps not
on the first line.  Perhaps make the version be n.m.o-DEBUG.  That would
break most version parsers - which is a good thing if this is a mistake,
but easy to allow for if a script wants to deal with a debug version.

You also might consider having configure/cmake produce a warning when
DEBUG is enabled.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.