RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: HTTPS records

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 23:52:35 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2022, Dmitry Karpov via curl-library wrote:

> Exactly! Honoring exact TTLs will be a very good feature. I heard complaints
> from some backend services who manipulated DNS records for load balancing
> and used 20s TTL that libcurl didn't honor it and it created performance
> issues. So, it will be definitely a good addition to the library.

Sure, just a little complicated.

A primary reason the default name resolving in libcurl is still done with
getaddrinfo() and not with a third party library like c-ares is that it is
mighty hard to replicate its functionality. And getaddrinfo() does not return
TTL.

If we want to know the TTL for A and AAAA records while remaining 100%
compatible with names used all over, we need to use getaddrinfo() *AND* do a
separate lookup for the A and AAAA entries and use any possible TTL values we
get back. Double the number of DNS requests. Not ideal.