Re: HTTPS records

From: Niall O'Reilly via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 20:49:51 +0000

On 6 Dec 2022, at 7:33, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> I'm open for curl supporting another library than c-ares, but everyone
> needs to be aware that c-ares has been supported in curl for almost
> twenty years by now and works pretty flawlessly. It will take time and
> effort to reach that level of maturity with a new library. Whichever
> it is.

Good, sure, and yes.

> If we're talking "only" adding support for HTTPS and SVCB records,
> then it might make sense to stick to c-ares since maybe using getdns
> only for those two extra records might be a bit overkill. Especially
> for users who are already using c-ares it might feel awkward to have
> to link with two different DNS libraries.

I agree that linking with two different libraries would be undesirable.

Unless SVCB (including HTTPS, as this is an "SVCB-compatible" record
type) support
proves overwhelmingly challenging, this seems reasonable. I think there
will be some
challenge, as there's a new axis of alias-chasing (in addition to
CNAME), and there
are per-parameter-set mandatory options.

> But we also discuss DNSSEC/DANE support from time to time and if we
> would start working with a library that has proper native support for
> that, we could be getting closer to ever supporting such features.

You guessed my hidden agenda. 8-)

Thanks for the considered comments.

Niall