code: 35 (SSL connect error) issue when using newer curl version(?)

From: Daniel Hallberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 09:28:48 +0100

Hello,
I want to move my backend software to a new server but when running it
on the new server I often (but not always) get "CURLcode: 35 (SSL
connect error)" for some unknown reason (I don't think I've ever seen
that issue on the old server).
The backend source code is identical on the servers, the difference I
see is that the new server has newer curl & OpenSSL available:

Old server:
Backend build 384 starting.
libcurl info:
-> age: 7
-> version: 7.74.0-DEV
-> ssl_version: OpenSSL/1.1.1f
-> features: AsynchDNS HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL
TLS-SRP UnixSockets libz
-> libz_version: 1.2.11
-> protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps mqtt pop3
pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
-> ares: 1.15.0
-> libidn: 0
-> libssh_version: 0
-> brotli_version: 0
OpenSSL threading supported

New server:
Backend build 384 starting.
libcurl info:
-> age: 9
-> version: 7.86.0
-> ssl_version: OpenSSL/3.0.2
-> features: AsynchDNS HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL
TLS-SRP UnixSockets libz
-> libz_version: 1.2.11
-> protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher gophers http https imap imaps
mqtt pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
-> ares: 1.18.1
-> libidn: 0
-> libssh_version: 0
-> brotli_version: 0
OpenSSL threading supported

Any suggestions where to look / how to debug the issue?
Maybe there is some timeout I don't set in my code which was no problem
with the old curl version, but that the newer curl version use another
default value or something? Or do you think it has to do with the
different OpenSSL versions?

Best regards,
Daniel