connection filters

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 09:38:49 +0100 (CET)

Hello all!

I just want to highlight Stefan Eissing's work in progress that looks like it
might become one of the largest PRs in a long time:

   https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/9855

We call the concept "connection filters" and it is a new way for libcurl
internals to handle data over connections. Each filter is a stage in a data
pipeline. TLS handling is a filter, a SOCKS proxy is, HTTP/2 is and so on.

With this rather major refactor of internals we will get a better internal API
for creating these layered cakes, and the hope is also that the functions for
handling each filter will become more locally scoped and therefore also easier
to manage and debug.

This refactor is also a precondition for doing further protocol combinations
in the future, like HTTP/2 and HTTP/3 to the proxy.

I don't mean to steal Stefan's thunder here, and this is not an attempt to
explain all the details, but I just wanted to make you all aware of this
action and encourage you to provide your feedback and comments.

The plan is to get the first step of this merged "soon".