Re: Does support for FTP growing files work in libcurl?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 00:28:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2022, Robert Sumner via curl-library wrote:

> I have been trying to get libcurl FTP to work to a tailmode supporting FTP
> server with a growing file, but have not managed to get the full file back.

> Am I missing something here or is it a problem?

The problem is the FTP protocol:

As the data is delivered in a separate connection and the only way to know
that the entire file has been delivered and has not been prematurely cut off,
is to verify that the final file size is indeed the same as originally stated.

To support downloading files without knowing the exact size ahead of time then
unfortunately also equals not knowing if curl indeed got the entire file or
not.