RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Feature request: provide ability to set a global callback function telling libcurl if IPv6 works on the system

From: Dmitry Karpov via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 22:47:40 +0000

> I could imagine a concept where you create a "system" from which you make easy handles, as then the "system" could define things that all subsequently created easy handles inherit. Like IPv6 functionality.

Exactly. The "system" level is what is needed to customize the "system" behavior for all the handles created in the libcurl application without touching the end client application code (regardless of whether it is opened for modification or not).

The "system" level tweaks will allow to adjust libcurl-based code to run the best possible way for some particular system (HW platform, OS kernel etc) trying to satisfy the "intent" expressed in the transfer setup code as much as possible.

> I think my main problems with your current design proposal is that your "system level" is global (with all the problems and limitations that brings)
> and that it needs to use a callback for information that really isn't needed to be set by a callback.

I think that the fundamental problem I am trying to solve can be expressed as follows:
      "How to apply some settings on all handles created by the application (including its integrated components using libcurl) without touching the code that sets them,
        because it is not always easy or feasible to change the transfer setting code."

In my particular case, it is "IPv6 works" check which affects how the "resolve mode" option should be applied.

But there may be some other transfer settings that also need some tuning for some particular "system".

I guess such "system" functionality requires using global callbacks with all problems and limitations that it brings for all those adventurous folks who would dare to use that functionality.

And if we look at this problem from a wider perspective, then all settings can be tuned for some system if libcurl provides a just one "system" global callback which can examine and modify all the options set for the transfer before libcurl executes it.

Something like "pre_execute_transfer(CURL* easy_handle, void* data)" (and maybe "pre_execute_multi_transfer(CURLM* multi_handle, void* data) to tune multi-transfers)" .

These callbacks or "hooks", if set, will allow applications to adjust their "system" behavior for a wide range of options - not just for checking if "IPv6 works" without touching end client code (which they might not be able to change).

They will also help to address some security or policy issues when some when integrated components may use some transfer settings which are against some policies enforced in the "hosting" applications.

What do you think about that approach?
It still introduces new global callback(s), but the flexibility that this approach brings in allows to do a wide range of "system" customizations beyond just IPv6.

Thanks,
Dmitry Karpov