RE: Is EBCDIC support gone?

From: Randall via curl-library <curl-library_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:17:43 -0400

On July 20, 2022 10:02, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
>On 7/20/22 15:06, Randall via curl-library wrote:
>> On July 20, 2022 6:07 AM, Mühlstrasser wrote:
>>> I found the following entry in the release notes for curl 7.82.0:
>>>
>>> TPF: drop support
>>> https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/8378
>>>
>>> With that the code related to CURL_DOES_CONVERSIONS was removed.
>>>
>>> Do I understand it correctly that EBCDIC support is gone now in general?
>> That would actually be bad if true. There are downstream projects that
>> depend on this, AFAIK.
>
>A message has been posted to curl library mailing list as a poll for this removal: see
>https://curl.se/mail/lib-2022-02/0023.html and following thread.
>
>Your reaction comes 6 months too late!

I am not actually the maintainer of the downstream product (git on z/OS with EBCDIC support). That the maintainer did not respond is a bit disconcerting and I (or someone else) will probably need take that up with them. The only impact I can see is dropping HTTPS from git z/OS, and the platform has a robust SSH implementation, so curl could be dropped as a git dependency. Using the new library is fine from my perspective, if it comes down to it, but may be their problem. It would be their issue about not responding, not mine. Thanks for your feedback. It does help clarify our own plans.
--Randall